Clermont County, Ohio
FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP is located in the southeastern corner of Clermont County along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
Tate Township - north
Lewis Township, Brown County - east
Washington Township - west
Bracken County, Kentucky lies across the Ohio River to the south.
Two incorporated villages are located in Franklin Township: Chilo in the southwest along the Ohio River, and Felicity in the center. As well, the unincorporated community of Utopia lies in the township's south.
CLERMONT is a French word meaning “clear mountains and hills.” This describes the appearance of the county to the first explores and settlers. Clermont County is part of the Virginia Military District, land given to veterans of the American Revolution from Virginia . Since they fought along side Frenchmen there may have been a desire to name it in honor of France ’s aid in winning American independence. The seventh oldest county in Ohio , Clermont County was established December 6, 1800.
CHILO is a village in Clermont County, Ohio, United States, along the Ohio River. The population was 97 at the 2000 census. The village is best known for being the site of a former lock along the Ohio River. Today, the site is a 39-acre (160,000 m2) riverfront park. The lock was replaced in the 1960s by the Captain Anthony Meldahl Locks and Dam.
FELICITY is a village in Clermont County, Ohio, United States. The population was 922 at the 2000 census.
UTOPIA is an unincorporated town in far southern Franklin Township, Clermont County, Ohio, United States, along the banks of the Ohio River. Utopia has been referred to as a "ghost town" although there are still people who live there. Utopia was founded in 1844 by the followers of Charles Fourier, after the failure of an earlier Fourierist phalanstère called the Clermont Phalanx. Fourier's writings inspired his readers to create their own utopian society hence the name "Utopia."
One Room Schoolhouse